Friday, October 16, 2009

Parenting

Sometimes I question why people have children or if they think it would have been different. It is amazing to me how some parents seem not to care where their kids are or what they are doing. The world was so different 20 years ago.
Recently, I was at Petco doing kitten adoptions and there was this 10 year old boy who was just hanging around the cats and asking question after question. He was adorable. We asked him, “Where are your parents?” he replied, “At Costco shopping. They gave me permission to walk over here.” So at this particular shopping center Costco sits adjacent to Petco and there is about a mile of parking lot in between the stores. Not to mention the dangers of being hit by a car but he could have been easily taken. One of the other ladies asked him, “What would happen if you were kidnapped?” he replied, “Oh I have been in karate for 5 years, that won’t happen.” We all were shocked that came out of his mouth. Do some parents think that bad things could never happen? Or how about just trying to prevent them?
Another form of parenting I do not quite understand is selfishness and being manipulative towards your children. There is this girl that was quite close with our family and her parents absolutely made us scratch our heads. She is 24 years old now with a 6 week old baby and she cannot make a decision on her own if her life depended on it. Her parents have raised her to believe that what they say is 150% correct. They have manipulated her into believing that giving them all of her money is the “right” thing to do. Her parents have told her all of her life that there is something wrong with her which had left her with no self-confidence therefore she lets her friends brainwash her into changing herself to accommodate others.
Do parents realize that what they instill their children with; is the foundation of what they will become as an adult? Parents are the only role model that a child has. As much as you require obedience from them, they require approval from you.

1 comment:

  1. You are very insightful for such a young lady. Someday you will make
    a wonderful mother. When I raised my children I gave 20 years of my life to them and I did it happily. I was involved in every aspect of their lives and instilled independence and good old fashion morals in both my
    children. It was worth every minute, today my children are both adults and they are very rare in today's society. They are independent, hard working,
    and very intelligent adults. I am so very proud of them. Not only do I love my children with all my heart, I really like them both as people and my greatest accomplishment in life will always be the way I raised my children who are now my best friends.
    It is so wonderful to see such a young later with great values and any child would be so lucky to have you as a mother, The world could
    use a few more million people like you.

    ReplyDelete